Bimizza® – A low cost1-3, bioequivalent alternative to Mercilon®4
- Bimizza® is a monophasic combined oral contraceptive pill which contains 150mcg desogestrel and 20mcg ethinylestradiol3
- Bimizza® contains the same active ingredients and is bioequivalent to Mercilon®, therefore, following appropriate patient assessment and review, it may be prescribed in place of Mercilon®3–5
- Each pack of Bimizza® contains 3 x blister strips of 21 tablets for 3 cycles of contraceptive cover6
Please refer to the full Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) before prescribing.
Patient Information Leaflet:
- Additional patient support leaflet from Morningside Healthcare
- Patient letter template for change of contraceptive brand
The full NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary for contraceptive prescribing for combined oral contraceptives, including UK Medical Eligibility Criteria may be found here.
- Data on File: Contraceptives Cost Saving Data. Feb 2019;
- MIMS. Mercilon (Merck Sharp & Dohme Ltd). Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/mercilon (accessed July 2020);
- Morningside Healthcare Ltd. Bimizza® PI. May 2020. BIM/PI/27333-0520;
- MHRA. UK PAR Bimizza 150 microgram/20 microgram tablets. February 2015. Available at: https://mhraproductsproduction.blob.core.windows.net/docs/33446c8282edba466bfd797be04735e72eb54bca (accessed July 2020);
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Ltd. Mercilon Tablets. Summary of Product Characteristics. December 2018. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1360/smpc (accessed July 2020);
- MIMS. Bimizza. Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/bimizza (accessed July 2020).
Mercilon® chosen as a comparator as it is the license reference product for Bimizza®.4