Levest® – A lower cost,1–3 bioequivalent alternative to Microgynon® 304
- Levest® is a monophasic combined oral contraceptive (COC), containing 150mcg levonorgestrel and 30mcg ethinylestradiol
- Levest® contains the same active ingredients and is bioequivalent to Microgynon® 30, therefore, following appropriate patient assessment and review, it may be prescribed in place of Microgynon® 303–5
- Each pack of Levest® contains 3 x blister strips of 21 tablets for 3 cycles of contraceptive cover6
Patient Information Leaflet:
- Additional patient support leaflet from Morningside Healthcare
- Patient letter template for change of contraceptive brand
The full NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary for contraceptive prescribing for combined oral contraceptives, including UK Medical Eligibility Criteria may be found here.
- Data on File: Contraceptives Cost Saving Data. Feb 2019;
- MIMS. Microgynon 30 (Bayer plc). Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/microgynon-30 (accessed July 2020);
- Morningside Healthcare Ltd. Levest® PI. May 2020. LEV/PI/27333-0520;
- MHRA. UK PAR Femicept 150/30 coated tablets, Levest 150/30 coated tablets (levonorgestrel, ethinylestradiol). Available at: https://www.geneesmiddeleninformatiebank.nl/Pars/h102777.pdf (accessed July 2020);
- Bayer plc. Microgynon 30 tablets. Summary of Product Characteristics. June 2020. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1130/smpc (accessed July 2020);
- MIMS. Levest. Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/levest (accessed July 2020).
Microgynon® 30 chosen as a comparator as it is the license reference product for Levest®.4