Yacella® – A lower cost,1–3 bioequivalent alternative to Yasmin®4
- Yacella® is a monophasic combined oral contraceptive (COC), containing 0.03mg ethinylestradiol and 3mg drospirenone
- Yacella® contains the same active ingredients and is bioequivalent to Yasmin®, therefore, following appropriate patient assessment and review, it may be prescribed in place of Yasmin®3–5
- Each pack of Yacella® contains 3 x blister strips of 21 tablets for 3 cycles of contraceptive cover6
Patient Information Leaflet:
- Additional patient support leaflet from Morningside Healthcare
- Patient letter template for change of contraceptive brand
The full NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary for contraceptive prescribing for combined oral contraceptives, including UK Medical Eligibility Criteria may be found here.
Letters to HCPs:
- Data on File: Contraceptives Cost Saving Data. Feb 2019;
- MIMS. Yasmin (Bayer plc). Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/yasmin (accessed July 2020);
- Morningside Healthcare Ltd. Yacella® PI. July 2020. YAC/PI/27333-0720;
- MHRA. UK PAR Yacella 0.03 mg/3 mg tablets. December 2015. Available at: https://mhraproductsproduction.blob.core.windows.net/docs/da60a925891cddb6949eeca3625262f534a3a163 (accessed May 2020);
- Bayer plc. Yasmin film-coated tablets 0.03mg/3mg. Summary of Product Characteristics. December 2018. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1607/smpc (accessed July 2020);
- MIMS. Yacella. Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/yacella (accessed July 2020).
Yasmin® chosen as a comparator as it is the license reference product for Yacella®.4