Cimizt® – A low cost1-3, bioequivalent alternative to Marvelon®4,5
- Cimizt® is a monophasic combined oral contraceptive (COC), containing 150mcg desogestrel and 30mcg ethinylestradiol
- Cimizt® contains the same active ingredients and is bioequivalent to Marvelon®, therefore, following appropriate patient assessment and review, it may be prescribed in place of Marvelon®3-6
- Each pack of Cimizt® contains 3 x blister strips of 21 tablets for 3 cycles of contraceptive cover7
Patient Information Leaflet:
- Additional patient support leaflet from Morningside Healthcare
- Patient letter template for change of contraceptive brand
The full NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary for contraceptive prescribing for combined oral contraceptives, including UK Medical Eligibility Criteria may be found here.
- Data on File: Contraceptives Cost Saving Data. Feb 2019;
- MIMS. Marvelon (Merck Sharp & Dohme Ltd). Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/marvelon (accessed July 2020);
- Morningside Healthcare Ltd. Cimizt® PI. May 2020. CIM/PI/27333-0520;
- MHRA. UK PAR Cimizt 150 microgram/30 microgram tablets. Available at: https://mhraproductsproduction.blob.core.windows.net/docs/4a1ca9185731e16b811c8e44107621fcb279801e (accessed July 2020);
- Netherlands Medicines Evaluation Board. Public Assessment Report Desogestrel/Ethinylestradiol Famy 150/20 and 150/30 microgram tablets. August 2012. Available at: https://www.geneesmiddeleninformatiebank.nl/Pars/h108164.pdf (accessed July 2020);
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Ltd. Marvelon Tablets. Summary of Product Characteristics. December 2018. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1359/smpc (accessed July 2020);
- MIMS. Cimizt. Available at: https://www.mims.co.uk/drugs/contraception/combined-contraceptives/cimizt (accessed July 2020).
Marvelon® chosen as a comparator as it is the license reference product for Cimizt®.4